Let’s face it, doing your first tarot reading can be a little daunting. If you’re especially new to tarot journey and don’t already have a deck but are planning to buy one, with a bucket full of options to choose from, the process can drain you even more. Best advice? Go with the one that feels just right for you. Once you have the right deck and have gone through the little book it comes with, here are a few points to keep in mind before you start pulling out your cards –
- Don’t let it overwhelm you – While you’re excited to grab all the knowledge about cards, spreads and everything that your deck tells you, it’s good to take things slow. Take your time to understand your cards and try not to open all doors at once. Learn a few basic spreads, simple methods, and techniques and you’ll see how eventually everything falls into place.
- Calm your mind – It’s probably the most important thing you need to do when you begin any reading, to be quite honest, this comes into play long before you start your reading. You need to feel relaxed, free your mind, and be ready to absorb everything that comes to you. Be ready to grab everything that the spirit, your higher power, or your intuition is trying to tell you. This is because if your mind is in a blocked state and even if you’re sent all the signs by your angels, no message would make sense.
- Build A Connection With The Cards – While quickly acing techniques and learning all the spreads may mean that you’re a straight-A student, you can’t just depend on this when it comes to practical readings. Building a connection with your deck is the most important thing. While memorizing the meanings of the cards will uncover half a meaning, connecting with the deck on an intuitive basis will unravel the entire message from The Universe.
- Trust Your Intuition-You’re going to struggle with this initially, most readers do. Although, all you’ve got to do is trust. Keep faith in what you’re feeling. If you’re feeling that a card is trying to tell you something, probably giving you a completely different sign than the meaning of the card written in the book, go with your instincts.
- Don’t Assume – Assumptions aren’t institutions. When you’re doing a reading, keep your assumptions of the person aside. This does not mean that you aren’t trusting your gut, instead, it means that you aren’t letting your conscious thoughts create a block for your institutions. It’s like when a friend tells you that they can’t hang out and you assume it’s because they are choosing other friends over you. In reality, they could just be busy. So don’t let your insecurities and negative thoughts stop you from connecting with the universe.
Whatever you do, do not panic. Instead, use the Tarot cards mindfully. Start your reading with an open mind and welcoming arms. Accept the messages coming to you and be willing to know more.
“Hi, I’m Emilie a New York City, native who started to dive into the world of tarot and spirituality over twenty years ago. And, I just love the Tarot. I love the tarot because it has helped me in so many ways. It has helped me navigate through the rubble that life sometimes throws our way, helped me connect with lost ones, helps me make the right decisions.
Following my deep love for the Tarot and reading as an expert over the years, I decided to turn my passion into my career. Now I am a full-time diviner (Tarot Readings )and help others through tarot just as it has helped me.
I also love teaching tarot. I am an Instructor of tarot (Learn Tarot )in which I teach my students how to become confident readers for themselves and others. On the side, I also am a tarot deck creator. I am the creator of Simplicity Tarot ( My Tarot deck )with several more decks in creation. I am a lover of everything in the forest, crystals, and of course roses. If you are in need and looking for help I am here to help you every step of the way through tarot and divination without the fluffy fairy tales.