Reading tarot cards as a beginner can be quite challenging, especially with all the confusing information on the internet. While there is literally no ‘wrong’ way to do tarot readings, there are a few mistakes you need to stay clear from that might cause you to draw away from doing a fully efficient reading. Here’s what you need to avoid if you’ve just begun your tarot journey –
- Believe There’s Only One True Meaning Of The Card – The worst thing to do while doing a reading is to think that cards only have one meaning. Cards change their meaning depending on the surrounding cards, questions, as well the situation. While reading about the meanings of the cards is a good thing, not going with what your intuition says, will only give a half meaning to the reading. Cards will unravel their meaning to you at the right time, so be open to newer perspectives, understandings, and be receptive to the truth.
- Not Reading Reversed Cards – Not reading reversed cards or reading them as an upright card, takes away the entire meaning of the reading and leaves a lot of confusion behind. Reading reverse cards are so important to interpret the true meaning of the card and attain clarity on any situation.
- A Straightforward Yes/No Question – Even though tarot cards do reveal yes/no answers, it takes an expert to understand the truth and see what lies beyond what’s seen by the naked eye. Cards have their own language and want to communicate so much more than a word. Tarot cards give a lot of insights, clarity, and advice so why just stick to one-word answers?
- Not Being Neutral – Whether it’s reading for yourself, someone whos close to you, or someone you just met, being neutral is extremely important. Doing a reading on a topic which you’re emotionally attached to, can complicate the situation even more. You might end up drawing too many clarification cards, which will divert you from the initial spread, or end up doing multiple readings. All of which can confuse you with multiple ideas, that contradict each other. It is best to stay focused, unbiased, and neutral in your readings.
- Using The Entire Deck – When you’re a beginner, it can be quite tempting to use the entire deck and expedite to doing your first real reading. The truth is, as a beginner it is not the best idea to use the whole deck for readings. Simply because it is not easy to remember the meanings and intuitively connect to all 78 cards. It is recommended to begin with one half – the major or minor arcana. This will make sure you’ve bonded and connected well with all the cards and make your readings more efficient.
Tarot can be a powerful tool to help you serve your higher purpose of helping people understand themselves or their situations better if used correctly. As a beginner tarot reader, avoid these mistakes, to get accurate readings and correctly decode messages sent to you by your angels!
Hi, I’m Emilie a New York City, native who started to dive into the world of tarot and spirituality over twenty years ago. And, I just love the Tarot. I love the tarot because it has helped me in so many ways. It has helped me navigate through the rubble that life sometimes throws our way, helped me connect with lost ones, helps me make the right decisions.
Following my deep love for the Tarot and reading as an expert over the years, I decided to turn my passion into my career. Now I am a full-time diviner (Tarot Readings )and help others through tarot just as it has helped me.
I also love teaching tarot. I am an Instructor of tarot (Learn Tarot )in which I teach my students how to become confident readers for themselves and others. On the side, I also am a tarot deck creator. I am the creator of Simplicity Tarot ( My Tarot deck )with several more decks in creation. I am a lover of everything in the forest, crystals, and of course roses. If you are in need and looking for help I am here to help you every step of the way through tarot and divination without the fluffy fairy tales